joeking 10 The Scarsdale Medical Diet
This is a basic weight loss plan for adults who have no special dietary needs or problems. You will find in this book many variations of the basic diet that have been devised to meet particular needs and responses to reasonable suggestions, here told to you for the first time.
The question arose, "Your diet is great for people who can buy cheap ED pills lamb chops and steak. How about other people?" The Money-Saver Diet was born. "What do I do if I have guests?"' The Gourmet Diet took shape. Similarly, the Vegetarian Diet and International Diet were born. "Why does it always: have to be grapefruit for breakfast? Grapefruit isn't very good in midsummer, and other fresh fruits are at their peak then. " Seasonal suggestions were added.
In short, what you will find in this book are diets that fill people's needs. They are designed to make sense to people, and to work.
The basic rules are simple. Refer to them whenever you are in doubt.
- Eat exactly what is assigned. Don't substitute.
- Don't drink any alcoholic beverages.
- Between meals you eat only carrots and celery, but you may have as much as you wish.
- The only beverages allowed are regular or decaffeinated coffee, black; tea; club soda (with lemon, if desired); and diet sodas in all flavors. You may drink as often as you wish.
- Prepare all salads without oil, mayonnaise, or other rich dressings. Use only lemon and vinegar.
- Eat vegetables without butter, margarine, or other fat; lemon may be used.
- All meat should be very lean; remove all visible fat before eating. Remove skin and fat from chicken and turkey before eating.
- It is not necessary to eat everything listed, but don't substitute or add.
The following is an excerpt from The Complete Scarsdale Medical Diet by Herman Tarnower, M.D. & Saam Sinclair Baker, Bantam Books, © 1978. Used with permission.
Breakfast (Same for every day on diet)
1/2 grapefruit -- if not available, use fruits in season
1 slice of protein bread, toasted, no spread added
Coffee/tea (no sugar, cream or milk)
Your choice of assorted cold cuts (i.e. lean meats, chicken, turkey, tongue)
Tomatoes -- sliced, broiled or stewed
Dinner Fish or shellfish, any kind
Salad -- as many greens and vegetables as you wish
1 slice of protein bread, toasted, no spread
Grapefruit -- if not available, use fruits in season
Carrots and celery, as much as you wish